Fuagra - what is it?
There are hundreds of delicacies in the world, many of which are associated with unsurpassed French cuisine. For example: croissants, frog legs, foie gras. In the article you will learn what is the fuagra, who created this dish and how to cook it properly at home.
Fuagra - “fatty liver” in French. Foie gras is a dish of pink with creamy flavor, prepared from the liver of fattened poultry - goose or duck.
History of origin
France is considered the birthplace of this aristocratic treat, but for the first time the foie gras appeared in ancient Egypt. Observant inhabitants of the country of Pharaohs noticed that the liver of wild ducks, which gained weight before a long flight, or of fattened geese, is characterized by a delicate taste.
After some time, the food began to travel around the world, and got to France. Thanks to the efforts of the French culinary specialists, the classic recipe has been greatly improved. In the 18th century, the French marquis, while preparing for the reception of high-ranking guests, ordered the chefs to prepare unusual dishes that would surprise the invited elite.
After lengthy deliberation, the cooks tested the ancient Egyptian recipe, combining the ground bird's liver with lard, and applied the resulting mixture as a filling to the tender dough. Dish greatly liked the guests and gained incredible fame. As a result, the foie gras became the pride of French cuisine and its industrial production was established in the country.
How to make a fuagra?
Because of the fuagra, controversy flares up regularly. Animal advocates claim that liver pate is a barbaric dish, because geese and ducks are tortured and killed for its sake. Connoisseurs and gourmets are ready for anything for the great taste and delicate aroma of refinement.
Pate made from goose liver is a national French dish. France occupies the first position in the supply of fuagra to the world market. Recently, the production of delicacies opened in the United States, China, Bulgaria and Hungary. In a number of European countries, the production and sale of liver pate is prohibited by law. Among them are Germany, Poland, Turkey, Czech Republic.
According to cooks, the taste, aroma and other consumer characteristics of the paste is due to special production technology.Goose liver is the main ingredient of the classic recipe for a fouagre from the 18th century. In the 21st century, in most cases, the liver of ducks of the Mulard and Barbary species is used. Goose is a demanding bird, which increases the cost of the final product.
- To get a delicacy, birds are fattened in a special way. In the first month of the usual diet of birds When they grow up, they are moved into small and completely isolated cells, which limit the ability to move. At the same time, the ration of geese and ducks is changing, the basis of which is food rich in starch and protein.
- A fixed lifestyle and special nutrition leads to a rapid increase in the mass of birds. From the eleventh week, the ducks and geese are fed violently. Every day, each bird eats about 1800 grams of grain. As a result, in two weeks the liver increases many times and reaches a weight of up to 600 grams.
- Fuagra has excellent taste.
- Rich vitamin and mineral composition.
- Regular use prolongs life.
The main benefits of liver pate are represented by a large number of useful acids. These words contain some truth, as evidenced by the many long-livers living in the territory of southwestern France.
How to make Fuagra at home
For most people, the fuagra is a delicacy, a subject of admiration and adoration. Many have heard about this delight, but I am sure that only a few of them tasted it. Therefore, I will consider the classic recipe for cooking fuagra at home.
In essence, foie gras is a pate made from fatty duck liver. Purchase the main ingredient is extremely problematic, and the cost of "bite".Answering the question of how much the fuagr costs, I’ll say that in this shop you will have to pay 550-5500 rubles for this delicacy.You can cheat a little and buy a regular liver or pate. The recipe uses the original foie gras and 2 sauces.
- Goose fatty liver - 500 g
- Port - 50 ml.
- Salt, white pepper.
- Apple juice with pulp - 50 ml.
- Soy sauce - 1 spoon.
- Honey - 1 spoon.
- Salt pepper.
- Black currant - 1 cup.
- Honey - 1 spoon.
- Sherry - 100 ml.
- Salt, white pepper, refined oil.
- Preparing the liver. Carefully remove the bile ducts, nerves and films. Then, rinse it thoroughly, spread it in a bowl, salt, sprinkle with pepper, pour port. I send for an hour in the fridge.
- While the oven warms up to 180 degrees, I grease a small form or a frying pan with vegetable oil.I use it to lubricate food foil, in which I wrap the liver.
- After wrapping it in foil, I move the liver to the baking container, make several holes with a toothpick and send it to the oven.
- I bake a fuagra for about half an hour, periodically draining the secreted fat. I get the finished product out of the oven. According to the classic recipe, baked liver after cooling together with foil is put in the fridge for two days. I do not do that.
- I remove the prepared liver from foil, cut it into pieces and serve it with a favorite side dish or sauce.
I warn you, the delicacy is very "heavy" for the stomach. Combine it with a light vegetable side dish, mushrooms or sauce.
Cooking fruit sauce
To make fruit sauce, I pour apple juice into a saucepan, add honey and soy sauce. I put the dishes on the stove, turn on a small fire and, stirring, boil until the sauce thickens.
Cooking berry sauce
To cook the berry sauce, I send fresh black currants to the pan with hot goose fat and fry for about a minute. Then add honey, pour in the wine and mix. I keep the pan on moderate heat until the sauce has a thick consistency.
Prepare the fuagra in several ways. Cooks of different nationalities are constantly trying to create a unique recipe. However, the crown of superiority belongs to the French geniuses of the cuisine. It is not surprising, because for France the symbol and national treasure of the fuagres.
The French bake fuagra, fry in slices, boil, prepare tender pies, canned and consumed raw. It is important that in any form the delicacy looks appetizing and has excellent taste.