How do I make injections?
Watch the video
Make the most common intramuscular injection possibleany person - you just need not be afraid and know the technique of execution. You can master the technique of intramuscular administration of medications quite quickly - for this you need to carefully study our recommendations, practice several times on a pillow or a large plush toy.
If you want, you can learn how to make injectionsintravenously, but still carrying out intravenous injections (more difficult to perform and not entirely safe) is better entrusted to a specialist. We are not recommending making intravenous injections on our own.
How to do intramuscular injections
Where to stab
The needle of the syringe should be inserted into that part of the body wheremuscle has a large thickness, in addition, in this place should not pass the nerve trunks and large blood vessels. Often intramuscular injections are done in the buttock. In some cases, the drug is injected into the upper part of the arm (in the deltoid muscle) or into the anterior surface of the thigh.
How to stab
What you need to pre-cook:
- Medicine. It can be a sealed glass ampoule with an already prepared drug, or a small glass hermetically sealed bottle with a medicine in the form of a powder (in this case an ampoule with a solvent is needed). Solvents are different, so for your medicine, use only the solvent that the doctor prescribed;
- Cutter for ampoule. Usually it is in the package with the medicine, often this cutter looks like a small cardboard washer with a slot covered with an abrasive powder;
- If the medicine is in the vial, then a steel tweezer will be needed;
- Several cotton swabs;
- A bottle of ethyl alcohol (70% or 96%);
- A disposable plastic syringe in a sterile original package - its volume can be from two to ten cm cubic, the choice of syringe depends on the amount of prescribed medicine.
- Wash your hands well.
- Study the ampoule with the medicine and make sure that the name on it corresponds to the name of the medicine in the prescription. At the same time, check the expiration date of the drug.
- Take the ampoule in the left hand, shake it and tap it lightly on the neck of the ampoule - the medicine from the narrow part will drop down and will be on the bottom of the ampoule.
- Run the cutter several times along the narrowest part of the ampoule neck - there will be nicks on it.
- Dampen the cotton swab in alcohol, wipe the neck of the ampoule with a swab, wrap the cotton wool around the neck and break off the top of the ampoule with a sharp movement. Carefully place the ampoule on the table.
- Break the syringe packing, without removing the plastic cap from the needle, put the needle on the syringe.
- Remove the cap, lower the needle into the ampoule to its bottom, gently pull the plunger onto yourself and draw the medicine into the syringe.
- Raise the syringe with the needle upwards, lightly on itknock and slowly squeeze the air from the syringe with the piston from the syringe. When all the air bubbles disappear, and a droplet of medicine appears on the tip of the needle, temporarily close the needle with a cap, place the syringe on a sterile napkin and prepare the patient.
- Put the patient on the stomach and aim, where you arewill do an injection. In thoughts, imagine that the buttock of the patient is a circle, divide it in half along the vertical and horizontal lines - four segments will be obtained. You need to stab into the outer upper segment of this circle.
- Properly treat the injection site with alcohol.
- Remove the cap from the needle, take the syringe to the righthand, the thumb and forefinger of the left hand, stretch the skin at the injection site (in small children, the injection site on the pope should be slightly compressed) and a sharp movement vertically for three-quarters of the length, stick the needle into the buttock.
- With your right thumb, gently and slowly push the plunger until you enter all the medicine.
- Moistened with cotton wool in the alcohol, press the skin at the injection site and sharply remove the needle.
- Do not remove the cotton wool immediately - massage the injection site for a few minutes.
- Thoroughly disinfect the skin at the injection site;
- To prevent inflammation in the muscle, apply the medication as slowly as possible and do not inject two times in the same place (alternate injections in the left and right buttocks);
- Each time, use only the new syringe in the original packaging;
- If the package is damaged, the syringe should be discarded, it can not be used;
- If you are injecting an oil solution,Before squeezing the medicine, gently pull the plunger of the syringe toward yourself and make sure that no drops of blood enter the syringe reservoir. Blood in the syringe is evidence that the needle is in a blood vessel. An oily solution that gets into the blood can cause embolism. Therefore, the needle should be stuck a bit deeper, or remove the syringe from the body and repeat the injection.