How to care for a turtle?
Before you start any animal, you need to have an idea about it, to know what it needs. We will tell you how to care for a turtle.
First you need to find out who the turtles are? These are reptiles, they belong to the class of reptiles, a turtle squad. A very ancient species that appeared over 220 million years ago. There are over 230 species of turtles. But only about twenty species are suitable for keeping in captivity. It is easy to care for a domestic turtle, so they are suitable for people who do not have a lot of free time, but want to have a pet. Turtles are divided into land and sea.
How to care for a land turtle
The most popular type of land turtles is Mediterranean. They can be purchased at any pet store. Here are some tips for those who are going to wind up a bug.
- Equip a place. For the maintenance of these animals suitable aquarium or terrarium area of not less than 2400 cubic cm (60 to 40). The more space the better! Although turtles crawl slowly, they also want diversity, and not sit constantly in one place. You can buy a terrarium, order it at the pet store or do it yourself.The material is unimportant, usually glass or plastic is used. Be sure to fill the ground with sawdust, wood chips or sand. To make the turtle feel comfortable, it is necessary to put a house in its dwelling. There are almost no sales, so you can adjust a half of a flowerpot, a box or something else. The main thing to watch is that there are no sharp corners, otherwise the bug may get hurt by catching on them. Important: the terrarium should be put higher (on the table, cabinet, etc.). In no case can you keep the turtle on the floor, without a specially equipped place. She can easily catch a cold, catch an infection and die!
- Observe a certain temperature. Since turtles are reptiles, their body temperature is directly dependent on the ambient temperature. For normal life, turtles are 26-28 degrees. In the terrarium you need to put the lamp. Best of all, if it is an infrared heater, but you can put an ordinary incandescent lamp up to 60 watts.
- Put on the UV lamp. You can buy a lamp for reptiles in the pet store, or buy in the store an ultraviolet lamp with UVB 10%, no more. If the percentage is not written on the package, do not buy, such a lamp can only harm the animal. Ultraviolet lamp - imitation of ultraviolet rays.With its help, calcium is better absorbed, therefore the shell of the turtle will be hard, the bones will grow properly. You need to change the lamp at least once a year.
- Watch out for turtle hygiene. These animals must be bathed (1-2 times a week at a temperature of 30 degrees, so that the water reaches only the neck and does not hide the head), cut their claws (when they grow back), and walk (in summer at a temperature of 20 degrees, the more often the better).
- Watch for the health of the turtle. Immediately show the animal to the herpetologist veterinarian if you observe even one of these signs: the turtle does not eat for more than a week, pus in the eyes, sticky eyelids, red spots on the shell, wounds on the paws and neck). If you find something abnormal in the behavior and appearance of the turtle, it is better to show it to the doctor. No need to risk the health and life of the animal, letting everything go by chance!
How to care for a water turtle
Looking after sea turtles (also called aquatic turtles) is also not that difficult. The content of aquatic turtles differs little from the content of land turtles.
These animals need water in the aquarium.In no case do not pour water from the tap, it contains too much bleach, and this will adversely affect the animal. Pour water into any container and hold it for three days. Only after that it can be poured into the aquarium.
Argued that sea turtles spend their lives in the water. This is not true. They definitely need to equip the island of land - a place where they can relax. Above the island you need to hang a lamp to maintain the desired temperature (the temperature was written above).
The most common species of aquatic turtles is red-eared. It is easy to care for a red-eared tortoise, and it is very interesting to watch them. Only when dealing with them should be careful, otherwise there is a risk of being bitten.
The most important difference in care between the land and aquatic turtles (not counting of course the fact that the second life requires water) is feeding. Learn more about this here: how to feed a turtle?
Is it correct to care for a turtle? Is it difficult or not? Each person will respond differently. If you compare with a dog or a cat, then, of course, it is easy. But turtles, like any other animals, need to pay attention.With good care, the turtle can live 30-40 or even 50 years! Therefore, before you start it, you need to think carefully to weigh all the pros and cons and decide whether you are ready to take such responsibility. If you still decide to start a bug, I hope this article will help you!