How to connect an IDE hard drive?
Watch the video
IDE hard drives are becoming less common, but there are still quite a lot of computers in which they are used, and therefore periodically there is a need to connect the IDE drive to another computer.
IDE drive connection
- First you need to turn off the computer.
- Next you need to remove the side cover of the system unit.
- Now we define how we will use it. There are several contacts with one or several jumpers on the front part of the disk between the connectors for power supply and the cable. If the HDD is the second hard drive, put the jumper in the “slave” position. If it is planned to load the Operating System from it - to the “Master” position. The positions of the jumpers with comments are drawn on the upper disc cover.
- Inside the system unit there is a place specifically designed to accommodate hard drives. It is usually located in the front of the system unit, under the DVD \ Blueray drives. Install our disk there.
- We connect to it a cable from the motherboard and power supply from the Power Supply. It is impossible to make a mistake, other plugs just won't fit. One "but", on the cables are usually two plugs. One gray - to connect "slave", the second in a different color, maybe blue, for "master". If the plugs are the same, put any.
- Now fasten the hard drive, close the lid and turn on the computer.
Ide hard drive is connected.