How to make clay?
Watch the video
Plasticine is a very popular material for modeling, children especially love to make different figures from it. Many parents do not know that it is not necessary to buy clay, because you can make it yourself. How to make clay with your own hands? Consider two ways: the manufacture of food grade clay and "smart" clay.
Making edible homemade clay
This material is suitable for very young, because they love to taste all the surrounding objects! For children's plasticine we need:
- two glasses of wheat flour;
- one glass of salt;
- two glasses of flour;
- one article spoon of vegetable oil;
- two art. spoons of lemon juice;
- food colors in different colors;
- To make homemade plasticine, you need to pour two glasses of water into the pan, then add one tablespoon of rast to it. oils. Then you need to put the pot on the fire and hold until boiling, and then turn off the stove.
- In a suitable container, mix one glass of salt (salt should be fine) and two glasses of flour and add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. All must be mixed, and then slowly add water from the pan.At first, the dough should be stirred with a spoon or fork, as the water is still hot enough, but then, when the dough cools, it should be mixed with your hands. The result should be a soft, but strong enough plasticine, not sticky to hands.
- Lastly, you need to add food coloring. Divide the dough clay into different parts, each of which is colored in its own color. Then put on protective gloves, take a food dye in your hand, put a few drops on the clay and mix everything up to a uniform color with your hands. The intensity of the color will depend on the amount of dye: you can add a little less or a little more, but not too much, because the child can taste the clay, and the dye in large quantities will cause harm.
Store homemade clay should be in the refrigerator in closed plastic bags or in small jars. If you keep the clay in unclosed containers, it will dry up, and if it is closed, but not in the refrigerator, it will become sticky and soft (in this case, this clay can be turned into paint).
That's how you can make food plasticine at home, but there is also the so-called "smart" clay,which can also be made by hand. About what is smart clay and how to make it, let's talk further.
Making smart clay
Many people hear the phrase "smart clay" for the first time, so first let us explain what it is. Smart plasticine or otherwise a chewing gum for hands (handgum) is a modern toy for everyone: it is pleasant to both children and adults. Such plasticine to the touch resembles a cud, it is non-sticky, non-toxic, it has no taste or smell. It has several properties - it can be used in a liquid and solid state; stretch; break up; if you throw it on the floor, it will rebound; It can change shade with temperature. There is such a smart clay, which, besides its basic properties, is magnetised and glows in the dark. How to make such an interesting clay with your own hands?
What do you need:
- Sodium tetraborat (sold in a pharmacy);
- PVA glue;
- Gouache or food coloring;
- Suitable capacity;
- Wooden stick;
- Plastic bag.
- Glue should be squeezed into the container, then add a dye there and mix everything with a wooden stick.
- When the color of the mixture becomes uniform, you need to add one tsp. sodium tetraborate.All must be mixed again to obtain a thick consistency.
- Plasticine is almost ready. It remains to place it in a plastic bag and knead well to make it soft and supple. This is the first method of making chewing gum for hands.
There is another way.
- In a suitable container it is necessary to mix the silicate adhesive with pure alcohol (1: 1 ratio). Stir to a viscous mass.
- After that, the mixture should be rinsed under running cold water. That's all, plasticine is ready!
Such a toy can be presented as a gift to a child, but it is necessary to explain that this clay cannot be glued to the body and tasted. Give smart clay better for children over three years. Even if the school labor classes require regular clay, you can make smart for home use, the child will surely like it. Also in the process of making smart clay, you can add glitter to it - they will add beauty to clay, and it will sparkle.
A hand-gum can be kept packed for five years. Remember that such a clay can sink and burn, and it is not necessary to keep it in the refrigerator.Since the base of the clay is silicate, it will not stick to hands and leave behind an unpleasant feeling. You can crush such plasticine as you like, tear it into pieces and put it together again, throw it on the floor or wall, sculpt various figures out of it. Smart clay is very useful for children: it is well developed fine motor skills of hands, as well as handwriting and creative thinking, modeling of it calms the nerves.
If it is easier for you to take instructions in the video or it is interesting to see how homemade clay is made, pay attention to the videos on this page.
We told you two ways how to make your clay. Choose any suitable and start to create. For younger children it is better to choose food clay, and those who are older will be more interesting to work with smart clay.
If you want to get smart clay, but for some reason you can not make it yourself, you can order it online or buy it at souvenir and gift stores. This toy is very popular, so the price of it can be considerable. The cost of smart clay will depend on its volume and properties.The larger the piece of clay and the more interesting features it has, the more expensive it is.